The foundation stone for the Arch was laid on the 7th February 1920 by Gen W.R. Birdwood. The Arch was officially opened by the Prince of Wales, Prince Edward on June 3rd 1920. This date also commemorated the third anniversary of the first trees being planted in The Avenue. As their gift for opening the Arch, the Lucas Girls made the Prince a pair of pyjamas.
On 13th March 1938 the Temple of Remembrance was opened. This is situated to the left hand side of the Arch and to the beginning of the Avenue of Honour. The temple houses a Book of Remembrance which contains a number of steel sheets upon which have been inscribed the names of every person who has a tree in the avenue.
The Arch is 57 feet high and 64 feet wide. It is constructed of bricks and rendered cement.
|Arch of Victory by Nigel Stevens|